Thursday, July 9, 2009

Rawiri (David) Waretini Karena

Kia ora / Greetings all

My name is Rawiri (David) Waretini Karena and I am a Tutor / Lecturer for Te Whiuwhiu O Te Hau Maori Counselling at Waikato Institute of Technology in Hamilton NZ.

I began my journey in Te Whiuwhiu in 2001 after spending 10 years working for AVP Alternatives to Violence Project NZ mainly with violent Maori men in prisons. I graduated with my Degree in 2004 and have been teaching Te Whiuwhiu O Te Hau Maori Counselling since. I have also just completed a Masters degree in Commercial music, and I am hoping to start a Phd in 2009. I am currently working at a music type therapy that could be incorporated into Te Whiuwhiu. The aim is to use music as a tool to connect to feelings. Another tool we are looking at including is Hauora Tinana, or Beauty Therapy.

We invite all those perspective students who are interested in learning counselling practice from a Maori/ indigenous paradigm especially in terms of wanting to be effective with Maori / indigenous peoples as our Paradigms are alot closer than western world views.

We start our intakes about October 2009 and any people interested can call me 07) 834 8800 extension 8515

All the best for this new year

Kia tau te rangimarie

Rawiri

No comments: